Friday, May 13, 2011

52 Books in 52 Weeks - 15

I'm taking part in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge (I'm a few weeks behind in my reviews!)

Week 15 was Overcoming ADHD by Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D.

My favorite part of this book is the excerpt - Helping your child become engaged and focused - WITHOUT A PILL.

I am not a pill hater, some kids need pills. However, I believe in trying everything you can before going the pill route. This book gives oodles of different activities and ideas to help your child without meds. It offered a lot of different ways to view a child's day and WHY they may act the way they do.

One thing I noticed about this book was that the author placed a lot of ADHD problems into a sensory issue. To me that translates that ADHD is the same thing as SPD or because of SPD. Slightly confusing.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this book to a family who doesn't see a possible diagnoses of SPD because there's a lot of focus on sensory issues in this book. But, for a family, like mine, who sees ADHD *and* SPD as issues it's a good mixing of the 2 problems and way to cope with them without medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment