Tuesday, January 18, 2011

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Week 2

Brianna and I are taking part in 52 Books in 52 Weeks

This entry is late as I am a little clueless lol


For my 2nd week I read a trilogy. The Annie's People series by Beverly Lewis. Titles: The Preacher's Daughter, The Englisher and The Brethren. The book I am reviewing is the first one. I don't want to review the other 2 as it gives too much away if anyone were interested in reading the series.


Beverly Lewis writes primarily about the Amish, based in Lancaster County in Pennsylvania, who I've always been interested in. I own one of her series' and when I found another full series at the library I got excited. Unfortunately the series was in large print so that was a little hard to get used to.


In these books we meet Annie, who as you can tell from the title, is the Preacher's daughter. Back when she was 11 a penpal letter was accidently delivered to her house. She secretly wrote the address down and after delivering the letter to it's rightful owner, wrote her own letter to the other child. 


This child is Louisa. She is very much a modern Englisher who lives in Colorado. Despite their very different backgrounds they become fast friends who keep up the letters through out the years. Louisa is having problems of her own and asks to visit Annie on an extended stay. Annie of course, is thrilled to have her.


The book then takes you through the sometimes funny, sometimes embarrassing, sometimes loving way Annie and Louisa adapt to each other and Louisa's new surroundings. Annie introduces her to the Amish life and ways and Louisa must learn to live without modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing.

I love the book. Beverly Lewis is a great writer of the Amish. She grew up in Amish country so has first hand knowledge of a lot of what she writes. The book is well written and has an addictive way about it. I highly recommend this book and any others by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment