Tuesday, February 15, 2011

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 6

I am taking part in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge

This week's book was English as a Second Language by Megan Crane

I grabbed this book quickly from the library's new novels shelf because of the blurb on the front "Totally hilarious and deliciously wicked! This is one book I never wanted to end".

While it wasn't a horrible book, it was a waste of reading time IMO. A *good* book of this length (just over 270 pages), would take me 2 days max to read. This one took me 5. Translates into a slow read. Maybe better suited to an older teen.

The main character, Alex, is a woman who's ex-boyfriend says she could never get into graduate school in England. So she makes it her mission. She gets accepted into a smaller not known graduate program where she meets some foreigners and Englishmen. They seem to spend most of their time drinking yet Alex can put out wonderful, marked with distinction, papers and dissertations.

I'll look forward to exchanging this book for something with some more brain power.

No comments:

Post a Comment