Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Through the Eyes of Brianna (14 yrs)

This week's iHomeschool Blog Hop is "Through the Eyes of the Student". Brianna is 14 yrs old and has been homeschooled since November of Gr. 3. She took a bunch of pictures and how to describe her homeschooling day (her cell phone doesn't always take the best pics).

This is my agenda. It helps me figure out what to do each day. For me, the agenda has the time, which helps me. Which is the best thing about homeschooling is that it's what works best for the child.

This is my CNN Student News. I watch it, it gives you some pretty cool information about around the world. What I do with it is after I watch it, I choose one of the segments and I then write about it in my daily news book in my own words.

This is my Time4Learning. It's pretty fun. There's different subjects you can do on it - math, science (my favorite), English and social studies. This time limit on it is so after your lessons are done you can click on the game room and play cool learning games. This is most of my daily schoolwork.

This is a picture from one of my lessons in Rosetta Stone. I am learning French. I'm on the 1st year, but I have up to 5 years of lessons. If you get under 80% then you fail that specific lesson and you have to redo it which is good for fluency

Here's me in my new Pathfinders uniform. It's part of Girl Guides. In my hands, is one of our kittens, Meatball.


This is a really cool spider that my mom found on the edge of our porch. It looks like a bumble bee and it was pretty big.

This was after Pathfinders last night. We sell Girl Guide cookies to raise funds for girl guide. Our neighbour, who picked me up, made my cookies safe by strapping them into my brother's car seat.

As an addition to Brianna's picture choices, I also did this interview with her. I asked these questions and wrote down the answers she gives me verbatim.

What does homeschooling mean? You do your homeschool at home. You can adjust to what works best for you. Like you give me a paper schedule and that seems to work better for me than you just telling me what to do.

How long have you been homeschooling? 4 or 5 years, I think? (Actually, 6 years)

Why do you homeschool? Because you didn't like how they were teaching and I was getting bullied at school.

What does a typical homeschool day look like, for us? Wake up at 8:30, have breakfast before 9am. Get to be lazy, I guess, until 10am. Do school for how ever long it takes to finish it. Then horse around for the rest of the day.

What is your most favorite thing about homeschooling? How you can make boring old subjects, like English, into fun things, like Poetry Tea Time. And at school you'd just be doing these boring English lessons, where as at home you can turn something boring into something fun that you really enjoy doing.

What is your least favorite thing about homeschooling? The chores after my schoolwork (to which I reminded her that she'd still have chores after public school lol).

What is the coolest thing you've learned? A recent one is my Minecraft houses. It was cool cause it was fun, but was challenging because of the pressure to do the set requirements for the lesson.

What is the most boring thing you've learned? I find math is boring, but it's something I'll need every day....

What advice would you have for a kid who is just starting homeschooling? Try to get your mom or your teacher, since it's not necessarily your parent, to find what works best for you.

What advice would you have for a parent who is just starting homeschooling? Kinda the same thing for the kid, but like try out different things. If you find something that works, do it for a while. But if it stops working, keep looking to find something else.

What do you want to do after you finish homeschooling? Going to college to get my Environmental Tech degree.

Is there anything new you'd like to learn about soon? Chemistry cause I need that for college, but also cause it sounds fun. Also, learning to use my telescope and about Astronomy.

What do you miss, if anything, about public school? The only thing I really miss is seeing my (school) friends every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment